The FAQ can answer questions about how to register, rates, deadlines, travel scholarships, housing, speakers, schedules, and more!
When and where is the conference?
- The YDS Summer Conference is August 8-11 on the 5th floor of the UDC Law School in Washington, D.C (4340 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC). The conference starts Thursday August 8th at 6:00pm and ends Sunday August 11th at 3:00pm, so please make travel arrangements accordingly.
How do I register and how much does it cost?
- Click here to go to the registration page, choose your ticket level, and follow the instructions for payment. You'll receive an email shortly after with a link to get the rest of your registration information. Your registration fee covers most meals (breakfasts Friday, Saturday & Sunday, dinner Friday & Saturday, and coffee/tea/beverages), conference materials, renting space/location, housing, resources, and other costs for the conference.
- Registration Rates after July 22nd:
- Student: Full Conference $130; 3 Day Pass $110; 2 Day Pass $70; 1 Day Pass $50.
- Working Youth (Not in school, under 30 years old): Full Conference $170; 3 Day Pass $140; 2 Day Pass $90; 1 Day Pass $70.
- Adult (30 years old and up): Full Conference $230; 3 Day Pass $210; 2 Day Pass $170; 1 Day Pass $110.
What are the important deadlines for registration? (discount rates, travel scholarships, housing)
- Constitutional Changes: June 7th
- Activist Agenda Items: June 21st
- Bring Your Own Workshop: June 28th
- Travel Scholarship Applications: July 15th; Must register w/ paid fee & return application by July 15th deadline
- Discount Registration Rates: July 22nd
What is a Travel Scholarship and how do I get one?
- We cannot waive the conference registration fee, but we can partially or fully reimburse travel costs in most cases. Once you pay your registration fee, fill out the registration form and check the box to request a Travel Scholarship; the Travel Scholarship Application will be emailed to you, then you must fill it out and email it back to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
- All applications must be returned by July 15th with paid registration fee for consideration. If you are flying, you must purchase the cheapest, non-refundable ticket before July 18th. Priority is given to YDS dues-paying members, self-identified women, people of color, LGBTQ, working-class and/or low-income persons.
How can I get free housing? Where will I be staying?
- Free housing is provided for conference attendees with paid registration fee. We will be staying at a church, so please bring sleeping bags, pillows, or other bedding you may need.
- St. Stephen and the Incarnation, Episcopal Church: 1525 Newton Street NW; Washington, DC 20010
How can I get to the conference in Washington, D.C.?
- Check out the Travel Information to figure out what works best for you, whether you’re taking planes, trains, or automobiles.
What topics will this conference cover & what skills will I learn?
- Check out the conference schedule for a full list of plenaries & workshops.
- We will cover a large variety of issues at the conference, including: Democratic Socialism, workers’ rights, student debt, socialist feminism, environmentalism, access to higher education, LGBTQ movements, challenges of the Left, racial justice, and the economy.
- We will also have skills-based workshops for campaign planning, starting chapters, running meetings, leadership development, transitioning power, training others and making strong asks.
Who’s speaking at the conference?
- Check out the speaker bios for a sneak peek at some of the speakers at the conference.
What are caucuses and ally groups?
- These meetings are part of the conference programming; caucuses & their respective ally groups are held at the same time. Caucuses and ally group meetings are safe, open spaces to facilitate discussion and activism connected to identity politics. If you self-identify with any of these groups, you're encouraged to participate!:
- Self-identified Women’s Caucus
- People of Color Caucus
- LGBTQ Caucus
- Working Class Caucus
Still got questions?
- Email Neal Meyer, YDS National Organizer, at nmeyer(at)dsausa.org for more information.